There’s a reason I spend so much time talking to you about diet and lifestyle factors as a part of your acupuncture treatment. It is to let you know that you are solely responsible for looking after your body. Whilst acupuncture can make immediate improvements in energy and blood flow, what you do to maintain these changes is up to you. Even if you had acupuncture every day, you will still not get the maximum benefits unless you change some diet and lifestyle habits.
An acupuncturist is to humans, what a mechanic is to a car. You bring yourself in for a ‘service’ but once you leave, if you put in poor quality petrol, don’t maintain the oil or leave it too long between services, you could be up for a huge repair bill and days without your car.
To get the most out of your treatments you need to:
- exercise – include a mixture of stretching, strength, cardio
- eat a balanced, healthy diet – warm, nutrient dense foods
- reduce stress – manage your days in a way that reduces stress, say no more, start mindfulness
- drink fluids – water, mineral water, herbal teas all improve water metabolism
- get outside – 20-30 min per day
- breathe – seems obvious but not many of us breathe correctly, try to take deep long breaths when you can
In saying this, if there is a physiological reason for your health complaint, it’s ideal to see to this as soon as possible. In the car example, it makes no difference filling up your car with good quality petrol if your tyre needs replacing.
What could you do, to get the best results out of your acupuncture treatments?